We love great stories. We want to see more of them.
Our mantra here at Stillmotion is “Story First,” but how do you apply it when you’re in the field, time is tight and you’re making fast decisions? It’s not easy, and it’s a constant learning process, but we know this for sure - every decision you make is a chance to let the story speak.
In early 2013 we heard the story of a 9-year-old girl using lemonade to fight slavery. Within weeks, we set off on a journey that would take us around the world in pursuit of our first feature length documentary film: #standwithme
This course, Story First Docs, uses #standwithme as a tangible case-study to look at how all of your camera, light, lens, and movement decisions can be made with story in mind. This interactive book comes with over an hour of brand new videos and more than 180 pages of content and ideas.
In each section we’ll talk about how we approached #standwithme, and will offer concrete suggestions on how you can apply what we’ve learned for your own films.
Making our first documentary has been a life-changing experience that deepened our understanding of story. It is our hope that we can share what we’ve learned to help you with your own remarkable stories.
Story First Docs
- For event and doc style filmmakers looking to shoot short or long form productions
- Sections on Story, Camera & Lenses, Light, Movement, and Audio
- #standwithme as a tangible case study with clear take home points for each section
- Over 90 minutes of video tutorials across all sections
- 180 pages of additional content and ideas to help build out the ideas